A common misconception is that switching to an EMR system eliminates the need for dictation. However, this is simply not the case. An accurate documentation of the patient encounter is still required.
As many practices are quickly finding, those tasks are falling to the physicians themselves.
But the physician is the most expensive – and highest revenue generating – person in the office. Does it make sense to waste those skills and billable hours getting physicians to update their own EMRs?
One study showed that the typical physician who follows the traditional route of dictating notes spends about 30 minutes per day managing patient information. However a physician responsible for updating his or her own EMR by hand spends 140 minutes per day inputting patient information. Not only does that make the physician in your office possibly the highest-paid data manager, that’s almost two additional hours of lost billable time per day – time better spent caring for patients.
(An internal audit over the period of a week should give you a fairly accurate idea of how much time the physicians in your office are wasting with an EMR.)
Elite’s Clinical Documentation Services Make EMR Management More Efficient
Our clinical documentation services don’t work against EMR systems, they enhance them. Physicians dictate their notes as normal, but they have the option to use certain tags to automatically populate your EMR. This means less handling of patient information for both physicians and other staff in your office, which ultimately reduces your costs (see below).
Elite Office Solutions also streamlines your clerical duties in other ways such as preparing referrals letters, IMEs, and other communications. Just dictate, and we take care of the rest.
In fact, working with Elite offers you many advantages:
- Fuller, richer notes – physicians who dictate tend to elaborate more or otherwise provide more detailed patient information, which ultimately leads to better patient care.
- Improved data accuracy – our trained documentation specialists pick up on errors and inaccuracies, and can flag them for your review.
- Consistent Documentation Team - Each physician works with the same documentation team so that they are familiar with the dictator’s style and preferences.
- Lower costs – Elite offers a number of other ways for you to save on documentation costs including the use of normals and templates. (Click here to learn how Elite can help reduce your costs.)
- Free installation and training – Elite’s documentation system integrates with most EMR systems. We’ll install all the necessary software and train your office staff on its use, free of charge. You do not have to pay for any software or upgrades, maintenance costs, interface costs, support costs, or setup costs.
- 100% U.S.-based employees – all work is completed in the United States where our privacy laws apply – not offshored to foreign countries.
Don’t Have an EHR? Elite Can Help Get You Set Up…
Elite Office Solutions partnered with simplifyMD in 2012 to provide an inexpensive, easy to install, and easy to use EHR system for our clients. Plus, you’ll be eligible to earn federal stimulus funding to help you make the transition. Find out more here about getting your own EHR.
Contact Elite Office Solutions for a Free Consultation
Call us today for more information and a free needs assessment. We’ll show you how you can use your current EMR system and our advanced clinical documentation services to decrease your costs and increase your revenues.